Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

2011: a silent movie?

Why the heck would we go see "The Artist"? It's a silent film in Black and White and no it isn't a lost footage of a film from the 1900s. it was made recently.

"The Artist" is a Comedy Drama about a star in hollywood, George Valentin (Jean Dujardin) who meets a young women, Peppy Miller (Berenice Bejo) and decides to make her a star. But the talkies appeared and Hollywood wants NEW stars and George Valentin is faced with a sittuation. The Dog which is George Valentin's pet is just hilarious. He made the most laugh in this film and there was a cathegory called "Best performance by an Animal" he would win by far. Except for the fact that George Valentin seems a little attracted to Peppy Miller there is not that much romance. If you've seen the trailer, you might have realized he seems depressed. That is the main drama in the film and I don't want to spoil how he got there.

Believe it or not, "The Artist" is not completely silent. Rarely you will hear sounds and voices but that's mostly towards the end of the film. The story or Screenplay in "The Artist" is fabulous and really entertaining with great performances from both actors I mentioned earlier but mostly by Jean Dujarin. The music is great too. It fits every scene perfectly and even sometimes makes the humor funnier because of the tone of the music.

If you are convinced of seeing "The Artist", don't expect to have tickets easily. It is showing in about 120 locations in the United States. "The Artist" is a brilliant drama with great performances and great music. It actually is very entertaining mostly because of the humor and again, Uggie the Dog is the best animal actor I have every seen. "The Artist definitely deserves its nominations in The Academy Awards. It is in fact my favorite movie this year. I highly recomend it and I give it an A.

1 commentaires:

  1. I must say that if it was not for Jean Dujardin, who I like a lot as an actor (in the two OSS 117 movies, and A man, a woman, etc.), I am not sure I would have been that enthusiastic in seeing it. But I was, and I was not disappointed. Although it looks like an old movie, I find it refreshing compared to the usual Hollywood movies. I highly recommend The Artist but not for everyone, it is an indie film for a connoisseur audience.

    ReplyDelete

 

Movie news

J.J Abrams officialy Star Wars Episode 7 director!

Blogroll

About

Film arts was created in January 2012 by Metrocine.