That's what I said after reading a few articles and watching a few you tube videos. Why? Because people are already writing about movies with oscar chances. I don't know if they made a list of this by themselves or took it directly from the academy awards but if the academy did it, shouldn't they take a break? After all the intense two months every year of trying to see which film is best they have to keep on giving ideas to magazines? Well of coarse they have to see the movies to later judge them but they don't have to give their thoughts in August. Well, as weird as this sounds, I'm kind of happy they did because I enjoy the Oscars and I'm a movie buff so I just made a list with short comments of the main films who has oscar chances:
- The Dark Knight Rises : Why is there 10 best picture nominees today instead of 5? Because of all the disappointments of fans about not nomineeing The Dark Knight in the Oscars of 2008. Even if this sequel is not as good as the second one the academy might nominee it to make no further disapointments. Expect no,minations mostly in the technical cathegories.
- Argo : Ben Affleck is back after his last film in 2010, The Town, was snubbed at the oscars two years ago. This film set in the late 70's has a little of a comedy spirit even though the story is mostly a thriller. Hopefully the academy won't ignore this one.
- Lincoln : Steven Spielberg's next film is one of the films with the most chances since it stars Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln, also tommy lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and you know, it's Steven Spielberg; you can't expect a bad film from him.
- Anna Karenina : This film is mainly led by Keira Knightly (who has quite a chance to win this year for Best Actress) and Jude Law. It is directed by Joe Wright who was snubbed for Best director for Atonement. The academy might look up for this film too.
- Silver Lining Playbook : From the director of The Fighter, this original looking film stars big names such as Bradley Cooper, Jenifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro oh and let's not forget, Jacki Weaver. I think this one has a pretty big chance of getting ahead in oscar race.
- Life of Pi : Based on the famous novel, Ang Lee seems to bring a survival story with newcomer Suraj Sharma. By the trailer I think it has a high chance of winning for Art direction. This one doesn't have as big of a chance as all the other films but it can't be bad.
- The Hobbit : Yes, Petter Jackson is not done with his Lord of the Rings unniverse in fact it's possible he will do a Hobbit trilogy. Well, welcome back Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchet and Andy Serkis but now our new main hobbit is played by Martin Freeman, previously on Game of Thrones. This is gonna be good.
- Les Miserables : Two years ago he won Best Picture with the King's Speech but he now tackles the French classic musical (Tom Hooper by the way) staring actos who CAN sing like Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, and Russel Crowe. How long has it been since there was a musical close from getting nominated Best Picture?
- Zero Dark Thirty : Same how I started last paragraph but instead three years ago, The Hurt Locker, and Kathryn Bigelow. The thriller might be the most controversial movie this year since it's based on the Navy mission to kill Osama Bin Laden and stars Joel Edgerton and Jessica Chastain.
- Django Unchained: This film not only addresses directly to slavery but is directed by Quentin Tarantino. It stars Jamie Foxx, Christopher Waltz, Samuel L. Jackson, and Leonardo DiCaprio. The academy hoppefuly won't ignore this one like it did with Inglorius Basterds in 2008.
This wraps everything up, hope you like my article and feel free to coment in the section below.